It’s been over a year and a half since I last posted on here, on the occasion of acquiring for the Moel Rhos a second steamer, a Regner Konrad.
Just because I haven’t blogged about the garden railway in that time doesn’t mean I’ve done nothing to it. In fact I’ve done next to nothing to it… (though I’ve got the third tunnel and a second bridge to blog about…) But I have actually done something with the Konrad to pursue my interest in anglicising (or cymrifying) it a bit with a new cab.
In designing a new cab I did a few mock-ups in cardboard, getting great feedback on the Garden Rails forum to influence each iteration, as well as suggestions from the Glamorgan & Gwent 16mm Association group. This was the first version (more pics here):
[pe2-image src=”https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tkvrKU-pLsw/W27kfvrKXJI/AAAAAAAE89g/Y5JAzfA5HZ83GPF9Dc9pWHt85xw74LDeACCoYBhgL/s144-c-o/IMG_1068.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/105041492449804846682/MoelRhosBlogPhotos#6588454538914192530″ caption=”Version 1″ type=”image” alt=”IMG_1068.jpg” pe2_caption=”1″ ]
I felt the cab was too high, and I wanted to try a full cab influenced by the appearance of the Roundhouse Bertie. Version 2 (see also header pic and more pics here):
[pe2-image src=”https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VSwUwu_04sw/W27qs75JYcI/AAAAAAAE8-I/-uGm8x3oLSALhwB_Tg5oP9Es1yWP7DzXgCCoYBhgL/s144-c-o/P1210256.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/105041492449804846682/MoelRhosBlogPhotos#6588461362602140098″ caption=”Version 2″ type=”image” alt=”P1210256.jpg” pe2_caption=”1″ ]
The third version was something of a compromise between the two, going back to a half-cab but with a deeper lower roof. I also mocked up the effect of a shortened chimney. Version 3 (more pics here):
[pe2-image src=”https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dIvfEqz3nKU/W27kftFOYFI/AAAAAAAE89g/zPKyA-kgN180mSCCgbv9rnfKAJOyT8dJwCCoYBhgL/s144-c-o/P1210364.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/105041492449804846682/MoelRhosBlogPhotos#6588454538218201170″ caption=”Version 3″ type=”image” alt=”P1210364.jpg” pe2_caption=”1″ ]
By looking at these three alternatives, I felt I had a clear enough idea of what I wanted to start work on building the thing out of brass…
To be continued…